A Note from Brother Larry Schatz Regarding Brother James Miller Beatification Details
Dear Lasallians—Brothers and Partners,
This is a very special year for all of us in the Lasallian World! Besides celebrating our tercentenary and jubilee year, we are also celebrating the imminent beatification of Brother James “Santiago”Miller, FSC. I have recently been in communication with the District of Central America-Panama and I wanted to share this information with you, since I know that several of you have indicated an interest in attending the beatification in Huehuetenango on December 7.
The two Brothers from Central America that I am in touch with are:
Bro. Julio Herrera, who is currently working at La Salle High School in San Jose, Costa Rica.
Bro. Benjamin Rivas, who serves as bursar for the District and is heading up the Beatification Commission for the District.
Both Brothers were also involved in the diocesan process several years ago.
Here are some details on logistics:
- The beatification ceremony will take place on Saturday, December 7, in Huehuetenango. We believe it will be at 4:00pm (Central Standard Time), but that has not yet been confirmed.
- Several airlines fly into Guatemala City, including Delta, American, United, Copa and others.
- The distance from Guatemala City to Huehuetenango is between 6 and 7 hours by car or bus. The District of CA-P is planning to provide transportation from Guatemala City to Huehuetenango. Therefore, if you are intending to come only for the beatification, you should plan to arrive early on Friday to Guatemala City, and plan to depart late on Sunday, especially if you want to take advantage of the transit option. It is too early to provide any actual departure times for the rides.
- The Commission has reserved a hotel in Huehuetenango for any pilgrims attending the beatification. Bro. Julio adds: “People who come from the United States do not need to book the hotel; we just need to have the list of pilgrims and that is all.”
- There is also lodging available in Guatemala City at the La Salle University Residence; it has a capacity of 75 persons and at the Provincialate nearby there is room for ten more. Here is the website for the center:
Here is a Google translation of the center’s amenities:
La Salle University Residence is a peaceful place, close to the city in an environment surrounded by nature and fresh air where we can offer a wide range of services. It is the ideal place for seminars, conventions, executive meetings, meetings of boards of directors, retreats, congresses. It opens its doors, thinking to be your host in a place near the City. Our commitment is to provide the best hospitality to every visitor that arrives in this charming city of Guatemala. Our facilities include services that the traveler expects to find, in a safe environment, surrounded by nature.
Brother Julio adds that, “We have three communities in Guatemala City, so we have plenty of space to receive pilgrims.” Some of you may want to extend your stay at either end, and visit Antigua, along with other places of interest.
Bro. Julio has set a deadline for the names of pilgrims by September 30, so once you have committed to attend, please complete this wufoo link by September 1, so that we can compile a list to send to Bro. Julio.
I have also heard from Fr. Tom Lindner, a priest of the La Crosse Diocese, and they are also planning a pilgrimage to Guatemala though a travel agent. Be advised that this does not include an overnight stay in Huehuetenango. If you would like more information on this option,or if you have other questions or concerns, please contact Sherri Kavanagh, at email@example.com or (630-323-3725).
Blessed Brother James Miller. Pray for us!
Bro. Larry Schatz, FSC